Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston

This won't be a post about my drawing today. We have lost many singers over the past few years but this one has affected me the most and has gone straight to my heart. The death of Whitney Houston.  When I heard it on the TV yesterday all I could do was just cry. She was a big part of my childhood and when I think of my childhood I think of her  very vividly. When I was 6 years old I wanted to be just like her! My mom use to curl my hair really big!! (this was before I had a relaxer) and I would sing, How Will I Know, The Greatest Love Of All, and All At Once into a hair brush.  I use to put on shows for my stuffed animals and I would sing her songs to my dad. My dads favorite was Saving All My Love. Through the years I still listened to her and bought every one of her albums. Her songs take up more space on my itunes then any other singer. She came with me to elementary school, middle school, high school, college and adulthood. Her songs have been through every stage of my life, but I felt like I was joining the crowd with saying insensitive things about her drug use and choice in men.  Now I sit here and remember that everyone is human, entertainer or not.  I don't want to remember her for her troubled life I want to remember her for her voice and how it healed so many painful years and brought me happiness and memories. I always wanted her to get well from her drug use and after seeing her on Oprah in 2009 and listening to her new album, I Look To You, I was excited for her comeback. The CD was great and really showed that she wanted to make herself better.

She will always remain in my heart even if I did not know her personally. The pain of her death can only be healed by listening to her music.
R.I.P. Whitney I love you


1 Comments:

Blogger Loni Edwards said...

Such a great talent such a great loss. I felt the same way when MJ died. I felt like I had grown up with him. I remember the first time I heard/saw Whitney on MTV. I thought she was one of the most incredible singers I had ever heard. Nobody at that time in pop music could sing like that. And when she sang that song from Bodyguard "I will Always Love You" it sent chills down on my spine. So sad.

February 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home