Sunday, February 20, 2011

Music

There is a part of me that I keep very private. There is no secret that I love to draw. It keeps me alive and keeps my brain going. It allows me to see the world with different eyes. It allows me to travel and it allows me to talk on the paper.

However,  since I was a little girl I always remember my mom playing music in the house. I remember album covers,  I remember singing Endless Love,  I remember dancing and just having fun. It made me feel free and happy. Most of the memories I have are associated with certain songs.  As I grew older my hunger for more music only grew. At 12 when most of my friends were playing Mary J. Blige, and Method Man I was listening to Earth Wind and Fire, Motown, and Diana Ross.  It had a certain vibe and a certain rhythm that affected my heart. Once I started to sing these songs I could feel my heart calming and my emotions take over in a way I never experienced before.  

Now with the invention of YouTube I can watch all of the old Motown performances. It gets me excited! I always thought of myself as an old soul who was born too late!

At almost 30 I have started to think about when I was younger and how much I enjoyed singing and dancing. Of course I've only preformed for my stuffed animals (haha),  but I did a few acting classes in my teens.  I guess I think of it as an extension of being an artist! I found out it's just another way of expressing myself and having fun.  -Danielle



Diana Ross singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"


Diana Ross singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

Diana Ross singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"





6 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

when I was a little girl..my family visited friends in Michigan. We went to the state fair. There on the outdoor stage were 3 of the most beautiful black women in green sequined sheath dresses..singing "Stop In The Name Of Love"..yes it was the Supremes and I was a little chubby white girl who was mesmerized! It was in the 60's and I have never forgotten how they moved me. I am still a fan!

February 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Danielle C. McManus-Sladek said...

That's so amazing Kay! Thanks for sharing your memory with me. :) It's so great! Things like that you never forget. :)-Danielle

February 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

If you love music that much, you must make room for it in your life! I'm 58 and have been a professional designer and artist, but music is my avocation. Your drawings have a lot of music in them: they move and have energy, they're never static. Absolutely love that bottom drawing of the three tall elegant Supremes!

February 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger natekitch said...

these are so free, t truly feels that you let the music control the pen and just 'let go'. i think the top is my favourite it seems to emanate a bit of power

February 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Danielle C. McManus-Sladek said...

Beth, Thank you for your comment I am surely starting to make it more apart of my life! Thank you for the compliment!-Danielle

Natekitch, Thank you!

February 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Simon Spare said...

At 50, my life has always been art and music, music and art. I can't imagine in what circumstances I would be asked to choose between the two, but if I were, I think I would have to go for music. I really couldn't live without either, but whilst I have come to painting relatively late in life (started when I was 30) I have been playing music since I was 5. Violin first, then piano, double bass and the really big one - drums for 40 years. Now I have been learning guitar for a year and a half. Listening is great, but playing is something else - it's never too late!!

March 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home